A judge in Florida has ruled that a local school district did not have the responsibility to warn the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School students and staff of the school shooting danger that killed 17 people.
On Monday, Patti Englander Henning, the Broward Circuit Judge said that the Broward County school district cannot be held responsible for ‘failing to predict actions that were beyond their control’
Nikolas Cruz is currently awaiting trial on murder charges and if he is convicted he will face the death penalty.
Cruz is also accused of wounding 17 people in the attack on the 14th of February,2018 at the Parkland school with an AR-15 assault style riffle.
The families of the victims have sued Cruz, the school district, and the Broward Sheriff’s Office including the on-duty deputies who didn’t manage to stop the massacre.
“The District had no control over Cruz. They did not have custody over him. He was not a student in the system and had not been for over a year. In fact, he was refused access to the campus once he left school. Nor did the district have pre-knowledge of a definitive threat by Cruz.” – said the judge.
As for the families who tried to hold the officials accountable for not being able to stop the mass shooting, it is a loss on their end.
In September, the Florida Supreme Court ruled that for insurance purposes, they can treat the shooting as an incident and the total liability of $300,000 will be split among the victims who have sued.
Judge Englander Henning ruled the shooting victims and their families in October of having to give mental health treatment records since the shooting.
The judge has also said that
“There is no foundation for the argument that if Cruz had been sent to a different program, and if he had been treated as a higher threat years before the incident, and if he had been criminally charged years earlier so he’d have been convicted and could not buy or own a gun, and if he had never been permitted to attend Marjory Stoneman Douglas, then he would not have been on this campus and would never have committed the crime.”
Anthony Borges is one of the students that were shot during the tragedy. His attorney, Alex Arreaza that respresents him has said that
“How is a kid supposed to feel safe attending a public school under those conditions? That ruling puts every child in danger. To think that the school board has no obligation to warn us of anyone else like Nikolas Cruz in the system should give all parents a deep concern.”